Skip to Main Content

FL-Islandora Guide

A guide for FL-Islandora users.

Lake Sumter State College FL -Islandora Profile

Institution:   Lake Sumter State College Digital Library

Contact:   Kevin Arms

Production site created:  URL

Total number of titles/objects as of 4/30/2021 708

Total number of files as of 4/30/2021 1228



  •  College Publications
      • College Catalogs
      • Graduation Programs
      • The Angler
        • This collection contains publications of The Angler: the school news paper of Lake-Sumter Junior College, Lake-Sumter Community College, and Lake-Sumter State College. The Angler covers the colleges' growth, relations with the public, club activities, and many other topics relevant to student life. The Angler has been continually published since 1962.
      • The Naiad
        • The Naiad was a yearly publication by Lake-Sumter Junior and Community colleges. It was created to share the campus life, artwork, club activities, and social environment experienced by students during their enrolment at the college. From 1982 till 1987 the Naiad was published as the Naiad / Odyssey. The college discontinued publishing the Naiad in 1987. LSSC students still publish the Odyssey annually, featuring short stories, poetry and artwork.
      • The Odyssey
        • The Odyssey is a yearly publication of artwork, literature, and photography created by students at Lake-Sumter State College. Beginning in 1982, the Odyssey was originally published along with Lake-Sumter's Naiad as a single book. In 1988 the Odyssey began publication as a separate entity.
      • The Sundial
  • LSSC History
    • Camp Leesburg
      • The LSSC Leesburg campus was an Army Air Corps barracks and a German POW camp during World War II. In 1942, the United States Army established an army air base, which extended from the current campus site across nearby US Highway 441. Today's campus buildings sit where the base's barracks were constructed. The site was home to the 313th Tactical Fighter Squadron for a short time in 1943. After the 313th Tactical Fighter Squadron had left the location, German Prisoners of War (POWs) moved into the barracks after being transferred to Leesburg from Camp Blanding, near Starke, FL. The Leesburg camp housed 250 POWs and boasted one of the lowest rates of escape for prisoners in the county.
    • College Planning Committee
      • Lake-Sumter Junior College was formed in 1962 by the Florida Legislature following a concerted effort by the citizens of Lake County, Sumter County, and the Leesburg Chamber of Commerce to create an institution of higher education. A planning committee was formed to promote local support, headed by Marie B. Bowden of the Minute Maid Corporation. The committee was advised to seek letters of support from city governments, chambers of commerce, civic clubs, and other citizen groups. Several different sites were considered, including Tavares, Mt. Dora and Wildwood, but it was in Leesburg that the campus found an official home. Seventy acres of land was donated to the college by the city of Leesburg in June of 1962, and in the fall of that year, Lake-Sumter Junior College began operating under the Florida Division of Community Colleges.
    • Florida Field Station
      • The Leesburg Campus site was previously home to special project personnel of the Florida Field Station, a division of the Signal Corps Ground Signal Service, which activated the station on 24 March 1943 at Clermont, Florida. Its primary missions were to engage in field testing of newly developed radio and radar equipment and to demonstrate such equipment for the Army Air Forces Board. The Station also assisted the Army Air Forces Board as required during its tests and sent all information to the development laboratories concerned to expedite the further development and production of the equipment. The Leesburg site was occupied by the Florida Field Station special projects personnel beginning in April 1945, but by August 1945 the entire station was moved from Clermont to the Leesburg Army Air Field.
    • Johnson Junior College
      • The Florida Legislature authorized Johnson Junior College as a result of the efforts of the citizens of Lake and Sumter counties. A lengthy study was undertaken to determine the need for a segregated college for African American students in central Florida. On January 1, 1962, Perman E. Williams was appointed president and authorized to organize the college. Mr. W. D. Tolbert, Dean of the College, joined the faculty on June 1, 1962. The college opened in September 1962 on the grounds of Carver Heights High School. Following the passing of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Johnson Junior college was desegregated and became a part of Lake-Sumter State College, then known as Lake-Sumter Junior College.
    • LSSC Ephemera Collection
      • Ephemera are items of collectible memorabilia, typically written or printed ones, that were originally expected to have only short-term usefulness or popularity. The LSSC Ephemera Collection is comprised of fliers, programs, and other items that were created for a single purpose.
    • Photograph Collection
      • The LSSC Photograph Collection contains photographs that document the history of Lake-Sumter State College. The photographs are indexed with identification of individuals, events and locations if available. New materials are added to this collection regularly.

Noteworthy features of this site: 

  • LSSC FL-Islandora site has a College Publications that has several student created publications.

LSSC FL-Islandora site has a collection of local history.