Ex Libris Knowledge Center Documentation:
Download the Alma Offline Circulation Client:
2. Unzip the file.
3. Open setup_offcirc.exe by right clicking the file and choosing "Run as Administrator" and accept the defaults. Depending on your institution you may need IT support to allow you to install the program.
Offline Circulation Recommendations:
- We recommend installing the Offline Circ client at just one of the computers at your circulation desk so that only one offline circ file is created for upload per desk.
- We recommend using Offline Circulation only for checking out regular loans (long term loans) to patrons.
- We recommend putting aside regular returns until the system is back up. They can be backdated after Go Live.
- We do not recommend using offline circulation for returns to prevent possible mix ups due to loan/return of the same item multiple times.
- If you choose not to use the Offline Circ client you could manually track loans with paper or a spreadsheet.
- When the system is back up you would process all your offline circulation files first and then return your regular loans. It is very important to return your items after you are completely finished processing all offline circulation files. This will prevent a returned item from being erroneously checked out to a patron.
- Short term loans like reserves should be tracked manually with paper or a spreadsheet since they are high use.
How to loan materials:
- Open the Offline Circ Client. It should be in C:\Alma Offline Circulation.
- Scan the patron's barcode next to "Borrower"
- Scan the Item barcode next to "Item barcode"
- Make sure the Loan radio button is checked in the "Choose transaction" box.
- Click the Loan button.
- When your shift is complete, click the "Save to File" button.
- Click "Close" to close the program.
How to process the Offline Circulation file:
Once the system is back up, on July 13th someone with the Circulation Desk Operator role should:
- Log in to Alma.
- Click on Fulfillment --> Advanced Tools --> Offline Circulation
- Next to "File Name" find the offline circulation file it should be in C:\Alma Offline Circulation\OffCirc\files\OffCirc.dat
- Click the "Upload and Validate File Content" button.
- The job will run, you can click the "Refresh" button at the top right to check the status of the job.
- Once complete it will display how many loans were processed and if any loans failed.
- If any loans failed you can click the ellipse to view the report. The report will list any issues found.
- Once the file has been uploaded to Alma BE SURE TO DELETE THE FILE OffCirc.dat from your PC. If you don't delete the file, the next time you use Offline Circ your new loans will be appended to the loans you made the last time.
To be safe, it is best if all libraries at your institution upload all of their Offline Circ files before returning any items.